I felt like baking a couple weeks ago, but wanted to make something a bit lighter. With it reaching 100 degrees every day for the last 2+ weeks, I didn’t want to make anything really heavy. Then I came across a recipe for lemon blueberry cupcakes, and I was sold. It features a lemon and blueberry cake with lemon cream cheese frosting topped with more fresh blueberries. So good.
I just love the way that the blueberries almost “melt” into the cake.
Original recipe from Annie’s Eats
Makes approximately 16-18 medium cupcakes
¾ cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
¾ cup cake flour (I used all–purpose flour instead of cake flower and sifted it)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
8 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract (I always add a bit extra, usually about another tsp)
2 tbsp lemon juice (You’ll come up a bit short if you only use the juice from the one lemon you zested, which is what I did. I was still able to get plenty of lemon flavor from the one lemon)
½ cup plus 2 tbsp. milk, at room temperature
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour(s) [minus the 2 tbsp listed], baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Beat together with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Beat in one egg at a time, blending well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.
5. With the mixer on a low speed, mix in half of the dry ingredients until just combined. Blend in the milk. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
6. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the remaining 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
7. Gently fold the berries into the cake batter. Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full.
8. Bake 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8 oz of cream cheese
5 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (I just used the whole lemon that I had zested for the frosting)
Zest of 1 large lemon
1. Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium to high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Mix in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
3. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar about a cup at a time until totally incorporated. Increase the mixer’s speed and beat until smooth.
4. Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with fresh blueberries (and a slice of strawberry if you’re like me.)